Health Sciences majors have two options if they hope to pursue a career in nursing:
Students may start as health sciences majors, but follow the curriculum worksheet for future nurses. This may allow students to transfer to nursing after their freshman year, provided that they have an adequate G.P.A. (recommended at least 3.0) and there is also space in the nursing program. Students should confer with their Pre-Nursing advisors about current space and possibility of acceptance. Additional information regarding the School of Nursing Traditional Program can be found here: https://nursing.camden.rutgers.edu/BSN.
(Please note: following this path does not guarantee acceptance into the Rutgers-Camden nursing program; other nursing programs may require higher-level (at least 200 level) Anatomy & Physiology courses – which require additional prerequisites – so please consult with your advisor when selecting courses.)
Students may complete their B.A. in Health Sciences. Then, they may complete the post-baccalaureate program in nursing via the BA-BS Accelerated Dual Degree Program. This program allows some courses from the undergraduate major to count towards the nursing major as well. This option may make more sense for transfer students who have not completed all of the required courses during their first couple of years of college coursework. Or, students who are not sure of their future career goals may want to complete their undergraduate degree in Health Sciences and make a decision about their future career during their junior or senior year.
Currently enrolled students in the Undergraduate Health Sciences program may be eligible for the Accelerated BA-BS Dual Degree Program, provided they meet the following criteria:
- Be a current Rutgers–Camden undergraduate student in good standing pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Health Sciences.
- Have earned a minimum of 90 degree credits (including transfer credits) towards their BA degree;
- Have and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3, with no pattern of withdrawals and repeated courses, at point of application through Bachelor’s degree completion;
- Have completed the following required coursework with a grade of B or better;
- 120:153 and 120:155 Anatomy and Physiology 1 (plus lab)
- 120:154 and 120:156 Anatomy and Physiology 2 (plus lab)
- Note: other nursing programs may require higher-level (at least 200 level) Anatomy & Physiology courses – which require additional prerequisites – so please consult with your advisor when selecting courses.
- Have completed the following electives (these are acceptable electives to complete the Health Sciences major):
- 120:231 Clinical Aspects of Human Genetics
- 705:255 Nutrition
To apply for the Accelerated BA-BS Dual Degree Program, student should access the School-to-school transfer link currently located on the Admissions website.
All prerequisites for the ABS program must be complete except for two of those prerequisites at the time of application. Students may only have two of the required prerequisite ABS courses “in progress” when they apply to the Accelerated BA BS Dual Degree Program.
All other coursework must meet the grade/GPA requirement outlined above and final GPA must be at least a 3.3.
(Please note: following this path does not guarantee acceptance into the Rutgers-Camden nursing program.)