Health Sciences majors have two options if they hope to pursue a career in nursing.
- Students may start as health sciences majors, but follow the curriculum worksheet for future nurses. This may allow students to transfer to nursing after their sophomore year, provided that they have an adequate G.P.A. (at least 3.0) and there is space in the nursing program.
- Students may complete their B.A. in Health Sciences. Then, they may complete the post-baccalaurate program in nursing via the BA-BS Accelerated Dual Degree Program. This program allows some courses from the undergraduate major to count towards the nursing major as well. This option may make more sense for transfer students who have not completed all of the required courses during their first couple of years of college coursework. Or, students who are not sure of their future career goals may want to complete their undergraduate degree in Health Sciences and make a decision about their future career during their junior or senior year.
Currently enrolled students in the Undergraduate Health Sciences program may be eligible for the Accelerated BA BS Dual Degree Program, provided they meet the following criteria:
Be a current Rutgers-Camden undergraduate student in good standing pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Health Sciences.
Have earned a minimum of 90 degree credits (including transfer credits) towards their BA degree;
Have and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3, with no pattern of withdrawals and repeated courses, at point of application through Bachelor’s degree completion;
Have completed the following required coursework with a grade of B or better;
120:101 General Biology (or 120:107)
120:253 and 120:255 Anatomy and Physiology 1 (plus lab)
120:254 and 120:256 Anatomy and Physiology 2 (plus lab)
Have completed the following electives (these are acceptable electives to complete the Health Sciences major):
120:231 Clinical Aspects of Human Genetics
- To apply for the Accelerated BA BS Dual Degree Program, student should access the Re-Enrollment link currently located on the Admissions website.
- All prerequisites for the ABS program must be complete except for two of those prerequisites at the time of application. Students may only have two of the required prerequisite ABS courses “in progress” when they apply to the Accelerated BA BS Dual Degree Program.
- All other coursework must meet the grade/GPA requirement outlined above and final GPA must be at least a 3.3.